Between 1949 and 1952, in town after town across America, similar celebrations took place as Scouts dedicated more than 200 of the copper "Little Sisters of Liberty."
The statues were located on capitol grounds, courthouse lawns, and main streets; in city parks, schoolyards, and libraries; and at Scout camps — all as part of Scouting's 40th anniversary theme, "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty."
Jack P. Whitaker, a Kansas City businessman and commissioner for the local Boy Scout council, originated the project after seeing a dedication of a Statue of Liberty replica made of chicken wire and concrete in Spirit Lake, Iowa.
Whitaker paid $3,500 to have an original mold made for the smaller Statues of Liberty. Then the Friedley-Voshardt Company in Chicago made the stamped-copper replicas. Each statue included more than 40 sheets of copper, about the thickness of a nickel, with a wooden frame on the inside.
The statues were then sold for a reported $300 to $350 each to Scout troops, who presented them to cities and towns in 39 states, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Canal Zone, and the Philippines.*