Step 3: Produce documents for building permit
You will need to pay applicable fees to obtain all the permits. Staff can tell you the exact amount for your specific project at time of application.
To learn about City of Madison Fee schedule
show with drawings and calculations that the proposed system will be safe at all conditions required by the building code
For all applications:
- Show at least a section of the existing roof showing the attachment and the existing structure.
- Show a catalog cut sheet of the solar device with the weight.
- Different requirements for commercial and residential installations
- Calculations can be performed by a knowledgeable person if the building is in the residential category or a commercial building of up to 50,000 ft³ in volume.
- Buildings larger than 50,000 ft³ in volume require a licensed Professional Engineer or Architect to perform the calculations.
Provide a site plan and placement plan showing the location of the solar energy system on the lot and the design of the solar energy system. The placement plan also shall include the location of improvements on adjoining lots as well as landscaping on the lot and adjoining lots that impacts the location of the solar system.
If the property is in a historic district:
- Inquire about special requirements and further information. Contact Preservation Planner Amy Scanlon firstname.lastname@example.org or 266-6552 before application.
- Show elevation drawings.
- If collectors won’t be visible from street the Landmarks Commission staff person (Amy Scanlon) can sign off, if collectors are visible from street level the Landmarks Commission needs to approve. Consider this for your schedule! Go to: Legislative Information Center.
- Maps and background information regarding historic districts are available from the Landmarks Commission.
- Consider less visible panel locations and be prepared to provide evidence that less visible locations are less economical.
If the property is in a PD:
- An “Alteration to an approved & recorded specific implementation plan” needs to be approved along with site plan and placement plan of proposed collectors
- The local alder person needs to sign the application before it is submitted to the city zoning department.
- Processing of the application can take two weeks plus the time to obtain alder’s signature. Lookup your Alder
- Instructions and application for alterations to an existing PD.
If the property is in a Urban Design district:
- Provide site plan and placement plan of proposed collectors to city UDC staff person who typically can approve the application. Contact Planner Al Martin email@example.com or 267-8740 before application.
- Maps of UDC districts
If the property contains a Conditional Use:
- A minor alteration to the conditional use is required.
- Provide a site plan and placement plan of proposed collectors and contact zoning staff at 266-4551.
- Instructions and application for alterations to an existing conditional use.