All City of Madison residents owning a dog or cat that is 5 months of age or older must
have their pet licensed. The license year is January 1 through December 31.
- Please note: To apply online you will need digital versions of or be able to scan in your dog or cat's proof of current rabies vaccination and, if applicable, proof of spaying or neutering so that they can be attached to the license application.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal to fill out this application.
- Once you login to your account go to the Licenses/Registrations section, select Apply for a License/Registration and then choose Treasurer - Cat Registration or Treasurer - Dog Registration.
- Continue to City of Madison Licenses & Permits
Apply By Mail
- Dog Application Form or Cat
Application form APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE TRANSMITTED BY FAX OR
THROUGH INTERNET E-MAIL - THEY MUST BE MAILED ALONG WITH YOUR PAYMENT AND ANY OTHER
Note: The above forms are in Adobe PDF format and
will require the Adobe Reader software to read & print. You can download it FREE from
Adobe by clicking
- Provide proof of current rabies vaccination.
- Provide proof of spaying or neutering if applicable.
- Enclose a check (made payable to the City Treasurer) according to the fee schedule (PDF
*Include an explanatory note if you have
been in the City or have owned your pet for less than 30 days and are not paying
the late fee.
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped business size envelope for the return of your
documents and your new license.
P.O. Box 20
Madison, WI 53701
Any questions may be directed to the City Treasurer's Office: