Tuesdays, 1-4pm, Oct 3, 10, 17, 24
Chimera® (ky-MEER-ah) is a self-defense program designed for the needs of women, which emphasizes avoidance and teaches awareness, assertiveness, and physical protection skills. Chimera is taught by certified instructors who provide strong role models and ensure a safe space for the examination of experiences and feelings about sexual assault. They stress safety and confidentiality throughout all courses.
Chimera teaches that everyone has the right and ability to protect themselves. All techniques are easy to learn and use, and are designed to help the defender stop the attack and escape. Among other things, participants learn:
- Myths and facts about sexual assault
- The effectiveness of resistance
- Awareness skills
- Assertiveness skills
- Physical skills
- Defenses against harassment and assault by acquaintances and strangers
- Defenses against multiple attackers
- Advanced ground techniques
- Strategies for dealing with armed attackers
- Protection in and around car Arrive 10 minutes early so that the course may begin on time, and wear loose-fitting clothing, in layers that allow free movement. You will be removing your shoes, stockings, and jewelry. This is class is offered FREE of charge thanks to a grant. Attendance at all four classes is expected. Register by calling 266-6581.