Expense Statement Form
Who must file?
Every principal who makes expenditures or incurs obligations in an aggregate amount exceeding $1,000 in any reporting period for the purpose of engaging in lobbying which is not exempt under Subsection (3) shall, for the remainder of that calendar year, file with the City Clerk an expense statement covering each preceding reporting period. Every registered principal who does not make expenditures or incur obligations in an aggregate amount exceeding $1,000 in any reporting period for the purpose of engaging in lobbying which is not exempt under Subsection (3) shall, file with the City Clerk an statement indicating that expenditures and obligations for the reporting period did not exceed $1,000. Such statement shall be filed on or before July 31 and January 31. The statement shall be signed under the penalty for making false statements provided in Subsection (13)(c), by the lobbyist, if so authorized by the principal, or by the principal.
When must the statements be filed?
Expense statements for the January 1 - June 30 period are due on July 31; statements for July 1 - December
31 are due January 31.
What expenses have to be included in calculating the total?
- Compensation to each lobbyist for lobbying, whether in cash or in kind.
- Reimbursement to lobbyists for expenses.
- Reimbursement to the principal or officers or employees of the principal for lobbying or expenses.
- Expenditures and obligations incurred in preparing for lobbying.
- A reasonable estimate of lobbying expenditures and obligations incurred for conducting, compiling or
preparing research, information, statistics, studies or analyses used in lobbying.
- If the research information, etc. is used both for lobbying and for other purposes, the principal should
allocate the expenses and include the portion allocated to lobbying in the aggregate total.
- Lobbying expenditures made and obligations incurred for providing or using research, information,
statistics, studies or analyses in lobbying should be included in the aggregate total.
- Lobbying expenditures made and obligations incurred for paid advertising and any other activities
conducted for the purpose of urging members of the general public to attempt to influence City of
Madison legislative or administrative action should be included in the aggregate total.
- Lobbying expenditures for office overhead, such as office space, utilities, supplies and compensation of
employees who prepare lobbying communications, but only if the lobbyist is an employee, officer, or
director of the principal, and only if the lobbyist is paid (other than reimbursement of expenses).
- Total lobbying expenditures made and obligations incurred for personal travel and living expenses.
What expenses should not be included?
- Lobbying expenditures and obligations for the principal's clerical employees need not be included, except
when the lobbyist is an employee, officer or director of a principal and the lobbyist is paid a salary or
given other consideration. In that case, the total amount of lobbying expenditures made or obligations
incurred by the principal for office space, utilities, supplies and compensation for employees who are
used to prepare lobbying communications must be included in the aggregate total. See paragraph item 9
- Expenses for research or preparation of information if the research or information is not used for lobbying
within three (3) years after completion of the research or preparation.
How to file
- Filing can be completed on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the Licenses & Permits portal.
- Once you login to your account go to the Permitting section, select Apply for a Permit and then choose Clerks - Lobbyist Expense Report.
- City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal
- By Fax or Mail
Covered City Officals
Listing of Positions that are "Covered City Officials"
Pursuant to MGO 2.4(2)(e)