Alder Sue Ellingson
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Ellingson, District 13 email list:
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Clean Sweep is a program run by Dane County (not the City) to collect hazardous household waste.
• Now located at 7102 US Hwy 12 (no longer at 2302 Fish Hatchery Rd)
• Open year-round. Tues-Fri 7:00a-2:45pm, Sat 8:00a-10:45a. Closed Sun, Mon and holidays.
• New fee of $10 per drop-off for Dane County households.
WALK FOR DYSLEXIA
Sat 5/18 - 8:30-12:00 (with amplified sound)
May 24-27 - Fri-Sun 10a-9p, Mon 10a-6p (with amplified sound)
Alliant Energy Center
This event raises about $100,000 for local groups and charities. Brat Fest will have a 20 minute firework show on Sun 5/26. The fireworks will start at 9:05pm. sharp and will end at 9:25pm. (AEC is a Dane County facility; it is in the Town of Madison, not the city.)
VILAS ZOO ANIMAL HEALTH CENTER OPENING
Sat 5/25 - 11:00a
Vilas Zoo, east entrance
Join us to celebrate! After two years of planning and seven months of construction, the state of the art Animal Health Center will be unveiled to the public on May 25. The Animal Health Center will not only benefit the overall health of our animals, but will also function as a learning tool for our community. http://www.vilaszoo.org
KOMEN RACE FOR THE CURE
Sat 6/1 - 6:00a-11:00a
Bay Creek neighborhood
This event has 12,000 participants. Many streets in the Bay Creek neighborhood will be blocked for a couple hours in the morning. Please plan ahead!
Course map: http://southcentralwi.info-komen.org/site/DocServer/CourseMap2013.pdf?docID=5475
WINGRA WINGDING - 15 YEARS!
Sat 6/1 - 4:00-7:00p
Vilas Park shelter.
Help the Friends of Lake Wingra celebrate their 15th anniversary with friends, food, and music.
GLENWOOD CHILDREN'S PARK - FORESTRY PLAN
Click here to download the updated forestry plan.
• Neighborhood Meeting
Thurs 5/16 - 5:30P
Glenwood Children's Park, 602 Glenway St
Rain location: Wingra School
• Parks Habitat Stewardship Subcommittee - Public Hearing
5/23/13 - 4:00pm
Goodman Maintenance Building, 1402 Wingra Creek Pkwy
• Parks Commission – Public Hearing
6/12/13 - 4:30pm
Olbrich Gardens, 3330 Atwood Ave
By state statute, the Parks Commission makes the final decision on whether to adopt the Forestry Plan for the Children's Park. It will not be heard by the Common Council.
EDGEWOOD MASTER PLAN
5/22 - 6:00p
108 Sonderegger, Edgewood College
Click here for a campus map. Sonderegger is #11.
Edgewood has been working with the Liaison Committee (reps from Vilas and Dudgeon-Monroe neighborhood associations) to develop a 10 year plan for new buildings, enrollment, traffic and parking, and storm water runoff. This will be the first meeting to hear neighbors' initial reactions to the proposals. The plan is in response to the City's new zoning code. The master plan will be considered zoning when adopted by the City, so this is an important step. I hope you can attend.
LONGFELLOW SCHOOL REDEVELOPMENT HEARINGS
Alexander Company has submitted its proposal for the redevelopment of Longfellow School. There are elevations on my Development page, www.cityofmadison.com/council/district13/development
Public hearings will be:
- 6/19, 4:30p - Urban Design Commission
- 7/8, 5:30p - Plan Commission
- 7/16, 6:30p - Common Council
Agendas available at: http://madison.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
100 S MILLS ST REDEVELOPMENT
Gallina Companies has not submitted an application to the City yet. No hearings are scheduled yet. Elevations at www.cityofmadison.com/council/district13/development
2620 MONROE ST (TOWN & COUNTRY) REDEVELOPMENT
The architect expects to file an application by 6/1, with a hearing before the Plan Commission in mid-July. Elevations at www.cityofmadison.com/council/district13/development
The Parks Commission approved the lease for the Brittingham beach house to Brittingham Boats. http://www.brittinghamboats.com
MOONLIGHT MOVIES at MADISON PARKS
Bring your favorite blanket, settle in under the stars, and enjoy all the great movies coming throughout the summer and fall!
- Fri 5/17, 8:30p - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - Olbrich Park Beach
- Fri 6/14, 7:00p - How to Train Your Dragon - The Duck Pond at Warner Park
- Fri 7/12, 7:00p - Kung Fu Panda, The Duck Pond at Warner Park
- Fri 8/9, 7:00p - The Sandlot, The Duck Pond at Warner Park
- Fri 8/23, 8:00p - Madagascar 3 - Goodman Pool - normal pool admission + $1
- Fri 9/27, 7:00p - The Princess Bride - Garner Park
DISCOVER MADISON'S WILD SIDE
Free monthly tours of Madison Conservation Parks led by a Madison Parks staff member and co-sponsored by the Madison Audubon Society.
- 5/8, 6:30p - Spring ephemeral wildflowers - Cherokee Marsh, 4002 Meadow Valley Dr
- 6/12, 6:30pm - Early summer wildflowers - Prairie Ridge, 2406 Berkley Dr.
- 7/10, 6:30pm - Extensive oak savanna restoration - Turville Point, 1156 Olin-Turville Ct
- 8/3, 8:00am - Upper Yahara River tour - Cherokee Marsh, School Rd boat landing. Bring your own canoe or kayak and meet the boat landing.
- 9/11, 6:30pm - Oak savanna restoration - Owen Park, 6021 Old Sauk Rd
- 10/9, 5:30pm - New trail system - Cherokee Marsh, South Unit, 946 Wheeler Rd
GOODMAN WAVES SWIM TEAM
6/13-8/1, 5 days/week, 90 min
- Swimmers must be able to swim one length of the pool.
- Ages: 6-18
- Weekly swim meets, including the All City Swim Meet.
- Cost: $180. Scholarships available.
Sign up now at http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/pool/swimTeam.cfm
Waves + Rowing
Goodman Waves members can also take rowing lessons with the Camp Randall Rowing Club.
- Ages: Entering 6th-8th grade.
- Middle School Experience: 6/24 - 7/19, 2:15-3:45p.m.
- Cost $175. Individual weeks for $65. Scholarships available.
To Register for Waves + Rowing, call 608-220-5406.
GOLF MADISON PARKS
- The First Tee® Youth lessons. Monona has a TARGET beginner class starting 5/21.
- Adult Group Beginner Lesson Programs - 4-week lessons with Assistant Golf Professionals.
Golf league times available. To sign up for a time or if you have questions about leagues, call Ian Nicoll, Madison Parks PGA Professional at 608-266-4724.
CITY OF MADISON BUDGET CONVERSATIONS
The Mayor and Common Council want to hear your ideas for making Madison a better place to live, learn, work and play.
- Wed 5/15 - Get Around; Build Opportunity for All - Packers Cmnty Ctr, 1927 Northport Dr
- Thurs 5/23 - Be Healthy & Safe; Live - Jefferson Middle School, 101 S Gammon Rd
- Wed 5/29 - Eat; Play & Enjoy - The Villager Atrium Community Room, 2300 S Park St
MAY MUSICAL MADNESS - Olin Park
Free family-friendly concert series featuring local musicians!
Olin Park Pavilion
Thurs 5/23 - The campfire pickin' rock of THE WHISKEY FARM
Wed 5/29 - Return of local folk legends LOU AND PETER BERRYMAN
WORKSHOP: ORAL HISTORY INTERVIEWING
Sat 5/18 - 9:00a-12:00 noon
Sequoya Branch Library conference room
The Westmorland History Committee encourages representatives from Madison history, arts, social justice and neighborhood associations to attend and learn how to perform oral history interviews to capture their own history. Troy Reeves, head of the Oral History Program for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Archives will coach attendees on the essential steps for conducting a successful oral history interview.
Sat 5/18 - 9:00a
Participants walk for friends or family members with arthritis. Those with arthritis wear blue hats to signify their action to take control of their condition. The event features a three-mile and one-mile course, with arthritis information and activities for the entire family.