Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Coming soon: property tax installments
Nobody likes paying property taxes, but the city is taking steps to make it a bit easier.
On June 4, the Common Council approved my proposal for a four-installment system for property tax payments, something I've been working on for more than three years.
Under the new system, you'll be able to pay on four dates instead of the current two. The deadlines will be January 31, March 31, May 31 and July 31. All payments are made to the City treasurer, instead of having to remember that the second payment goes to the County treasurer. There is no additional cost to you.
If you're one of the over 60% of taxpayers that pay in full by January 31, this change won't affect you.
But for many families and small businesses, the start of a new year is financially challenging. Under the new system, only 1/4, instead of half, of the tax bill is due in January. This helps with cash flow and will keep more folks from falling into the expensive trap of delinquency. A 2012 study by Paul Waldhart of the Wisconsin Legislative Audit Bureau and Prof. Andrew Reschovsky of the UW, La Follette School of Public Affairs concludes that additional installments reduces delinquencies by nearly half.
Installment plans are used by 22 of the 38 largest cities in Wisconsin, including Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Appleton, La Crosse and Wausau, but none in Dane County until now.
A decision will be made later this year whether the new system is ready to go for the 2014 season.
Ald. Mark Clear
I welcome your questions and comments about this or any other city issue. Please contact me at email@example.com or 608-695-5709.
Subscribe to this blog and get e-mail updates on many other city topics by joining my.cityofmadison.com at the link below.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Midtown Police District Delayed Again
- Midtown Police District Update Tonight
- MIDTOWN POLICE STATION MEETING THURSDAY
- Mineral Point/Yellowstone Traffic Si...
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- Update: Mineral Point/Yellowstone Tr...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- New Midtown police district likely t...
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Reminder: Budget Listening Session o...
- Colony Drive daycare proposal hearin...
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote today!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Ramp and Bike Path Closures, Old Mid...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- Ahrens and Clear Launch City Governm...
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Upcoming meetings of interest
- Zoning Map Open House