Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
It's just before 10pm, and I've just come home after spending about an hour at University Avenue and Spring Harbor Drive with the DOT inspector for the University Avenue (2012) project. If you live, work or travel this corridor, you've seen the repaving and repair work that's been going on there since Monday.
It turns out that what was originally supposed to be some relatively minor repairs to some of the pavement that is failing has turned into a Big Deal. Work that was supposed to be limited to 9am - 3pm now looks like it could go several more hours this evening. Unless it rains tonight, in which case some of it may need to be redone next week. Either way, there will probably be more work over the next several days to fix areas of curb and bike path that need repair, remarking the lanes, etc. That work should be within the 9-3 hours and not cause significant lane closures. Small sections of the bike path may be closed from time to time as repairs are made.
I'm frustrated with this, and the inspector is too. The contractor didn't do a good job in the first place, and now they're having to fix it, which is good because it won't cost us anything, but the challenge for the inspector is that without a financial motive, it is difficult to get the contractor to follow his instructions. For example, they are not supposed to be closing lanes during peak hours, but that's exactly what happened today.
I'm doubly frustrated that nobody told me or the neighborhood association that this work was going to take place this week.
I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. It will be done soon, and the rest of the work should not be as intrusive as it was today. Thank you for your patience.
Ald. Mark Clear
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Midtown Police District Delayed Again
- Midtown Police District Update Tonight
- MIDTOWN POLICE STATION MEETING THURSDAY
- Mineral Point/Yellowstone Traffic Si...
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- Update: Mineral Point/Yellowstone Tr...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- New Midtown police district likely t...
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Reminder: Budget Listening Session o...
- Colony Drive daycare proposal hearin...
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote today!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Ramp and Bike Path Closures, Old Mid...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- Ahrens and Clear Launch City Governm...
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Upcoming meetings of interest
- Zoning Map Open House