Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
Please use caution on N. Gammon Road over the next few weeks as two construction projects get underway:
Work will begin this week to install pedestrian safety islands on North Gammon Road at the intersections of Colony and Sawmill. These improvements are a direct response to concerns voiced by many neighbors over the years and at the March neighborhood meeting regarding Gammon Road. The idea is simple: it's a lot easier to cross two lanes safely than it is to cross four. In addition, islands can have a traffic calming effect which can reduce driver speeds.
The construction will take about two weeks. Gammon Road will remain open, though there may be some short-term lane closures.
To make room for the islands, the street will be widened by about six feet at the intersections. Unfortunately some street trees will need to be removed to accommodate the widening. City Forestry estimates that 19 trees total will be removed, though that number could be lower as the construction proceeds. An individual decision will be made for each tree, in an effort to save as many as possible.
The cost of this project is around $150,000.
After the new islands are complete, the entire street will be repaved, which will also result in some lane closures. The repaving will be complete the week of Labor Day.
You may have heard about some proposals to change the configuration (lane striping) of Gammon Road. Please see my previous blog post to learn more about the options that were considered and the decision-making process.
Thank you for your patience during construction and I appreciate everyone who advocated for improved safety on North Gammon. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Ald. Mark Clear
I welcome your questions and comments about this or any other city issue. Please contact me at email@example.com or 608-695-5709.
Subscribe to this blog and get e-mail updates on many other city topics by joining my.cityofmadison.com at the link below.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Zoning Map Open House