Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
When will my leaves be picked up?
I spent the weekend raking leaves, and I'd bet a lot of you did too. The second question that occurred to me (after, "am I done yet") was, "when will the city pick them up?"
The answer, I'm sure you've already guessed, is on the West Side Leaf and Yard Waste Collection Update web site. Choose the map for your trash pickup day (Friday for the 19th District). The maps are usually updated every day when crews are in the area, as they are now. As of noon today, most of the district has been picked up once, with a few areas still underway.
If you're like me and just missed the first round, the note at the top of the page gives you an idea of when the second round is coming. "We are currently collecting leaves in the Friday refuse collection district. We anticipate being in the Monday and Tuesday areas the week of 10/10 and the Wednesday and Thursday areas the week of 10/17." So it's a pretty safe bet that the second round will be back to us the week of October 24th. My leaves will be waiting patiently.
Here are some additional tips from the Streets Division:
Please keep your leaves out of the street!
We prefer that you pile your leaves loose on the terrace or at the street edge. Keep leaves separate from brush and avoid piling them around or next too mail boxes, trees and utility poles. Do not put leaves in the street. When you put leaves in the streets they can be washed into our lakes where the nutrients contribute to algae growth. It is also against Madison Ordinance to place leaf piles in the street. Raking out the gutters and storm drains is also much appreciated.
You may cover your leaf piles with tarps of plastic sheeting to prevent them from blowing around.
If you must bag your leaves, please leave the bags open at the top and use compostable paper leaf bags if possible. This will help us identify what is in the bags and will speed collection as all plastic bags must be emptied.
Is this collection just for leaves?
No, we are also collecting yard and garden waste. Yard waste is grass clippings, leaves, plant debris and twigs less than 18" long. You can also place your pumpkins with your leaves for collection.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Zoning Map Open House