Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
2012 City Budget Recap
The 2012 city budget has been passed and signed. Here's a quick summary of the amendments I highlighted in my previous post and the results of those amendments.
Amendment 1: Remodel Fire Station #2 (Grand Canyon Drive)
This amendment passed on a voice vote, meaning Station 2 will be remodeled in 2012 rather than waiting until 2013. A big thank you to several neighborhoods which were very active on this issue--your voices were heard!
Amendment 6: Williamson St. Utility Undergrounding
This amendment was modified so that the project will only be done if there is TIF funding available, rather than using general obligation debt. I supported the modification and the resulting amendment.
Amendment 17: Edgewater TIF
This amendment to restore the funding for Edgewater failed 10-10 with the Mayor declining to cast the tie-breaking vote. (Amendments need 11 votes to pass.) The project is now likely dead.
Amendment 1: Performing Arts Study
This amendment to delete $125,000 of funding for the study initially passed, but then later in the evening it was reconsidered and then failed (meaning the funding was restored). The reconsideration occurred after the Mayor threatened to veto the entire budget unless the funding was restored. I supported the original amendment and did not support reconsideration. But once it was reconsidered, I reluctantly voted against it so that we could avoid the veto. I felt that the chaos and uncertainty that a budget veto would cause was not worth it over this relatively small item.
Amendment 9: South Point Yard Waste Site
This amendment passed, meaning the site will remain open. I supported the amendment.
Amendment 13: Overture funding
This amendment passed, increasing Overture funding from $1.35 million to $1.85 million, which is closer to the $2 million that the city pledged in 2010. I supported the amendment.
If you have questions or comments on these or any other amendments, or on the budget in general, please be in touch.
Subscribe to this blog and get e-mail updates on many other city topics by joining my.cityofmadison.com at the link below.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Midtown Police District Delayed Again
- Midtown Police District Update Tonight
- MIDTOWN POLICE STATION MEETING THURSDAY
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- Update: Mineral Point/Yellowstone Tr...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- New Midtown police district likely t...
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Colony Drive daycare proposal hearin...
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote today!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Ramp and Bike Path Closures, Old Mid...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- Ahrens and Clear Launch City Governm...
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Zoning Map Open House