Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
About Little Manhattan
Last week the Council okayed a liquor license renewal with a number of conditions for Little Manhattan on Odana Road.
Since opening in February, Little Manhattan, a karaoke and pool bar, has had several troubling incidents:
- On March 17, the establishment held a private party, was over capacity and was selling hard alcohol (they are licensed for beer and wine only). Police closed the bar, but a fight broke out in the parking lot before the crowd dispersed. Some of the same crowd was later linked to gunfire in the Park Edge neighborhood.
- On May 11, a DJ night ended up with two people shot (one inside, one in the parking lot).
After the March incident, the district police captain, an assistant city attorney and I met with the manager to discuss what happened and outline ways to prevent further trouble. Unfortunately, the manager did not follow all of our recommendations, resulting in the May 11 incident.
After the May incident, I took immediate action to separate out their liquor license renewal which was due on June 30. At the same time, the city attorney's office filed a complaint for non-renewal.
After an initial hearing before the city's Alcohol License Review Commission, the city attorney and the owner's attorney worked out a settlement with a number of conditions for renewal that include increased security measures and an earlier closing time.
I reluctantly but hopefully supported the renewal with these conditions. If the management complies, I believe Little Manhattan can operate safely and be an asset to the neighborhood. However, if the conditions are violated, I will not hesitate to do everything I can to close it down.
Nothing is more important to me than the safety of our neighborhoods. The location of Little Manhattan has a troubled history of a series of nightclubs that were closed down by the city, the last in 2007 shortly after I came into office. In the interim, the building has been empty and has been a blight on an otherwise very vital and active retail area. When Little Manhattan was proposed last year, I cautiously supported the license, hoping that a new business model could be safe and sustainable at this location. So far that hasn't worked so well, but the city is giving it one more chance. I hope this time can be successful.
I welcome your questions and comments about this or any other city issue. Please contact me at email@example.com or 608-695-5709.
Subscribe to this blog and get e-mail updates on many other city topics by joining my.cityofmadison.com at the link below.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Midtown Police District Update Tonight
- MIDTOWN POLICE STATION MEETING THURSDAY
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- New Midtown police district likely t...
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote today!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Ramp and Bike Path Closures, Old Mid...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- Ahrens and Clear Launch City Governm...
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Zoning Map Open House