Alder Mark Clear
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
District 19 News and Notes for March 10
So much news to catch up on! Here's what's happening.
South Point yard waste site restored
Private wells grandfathered
The 200 or so owners of private residential water wells can now keep them until they sell the property or the well becomes unsafe. In 2011, the Council ended the private well program and required all homes to connect to city water after their existing permit expired. After nearly a year of negotiation and advocacy by well owners, compromise was reached and last month I sponsored an ordinance change to bring back the private well program. There are nearly 40 private wells in district 19 alone, most of them holdovers from before the homes were annexed into the city.
Fire Station 2 reopening
The year-long rehab of Fire Station 2 on Grand Canyon is complete! The crews are moved in and the station is fully operational. Please join us for a grand re-opening and hose uncoupling ceremony on April 25 at 1:00.
Proposed liquor store
Lakhvir Kaur is applying for a license to operate a full-service liquor store at 6640 Mineral Point Road in the Clock Tower center. A public hearing on the proposal will be held before the Alcohol License Review Committee on March 20, and the Common Council on April 16.
Dane County Emergency Management is in the process of upgrading the countywide outdoor warning siren system. Part of this process involves configuring and individually sounding each of the sirens as they are brought on-line on the new system. This configuration and testing is different from the first Wednesday of the month tests that we usually run.
Throughout the month of March, the sirens will be sounded one-by-one, for approximately 60 to 90 seconds in duration. Most of this work will be done during normal business hours, but there may be a need to work on Saturdays as well. The sirens will not be sounded before 9:00 am or after 5:00 pm.
If a threat of severe weather exists, the upgrading will be postponed until the threat has passed.
- Phase 1 of University Crossing, the UW Heath Digestive Health Center, is nearing completion and will open in April. Phase 2 (offices, retail and abatements) is coming along well and will open later this year.
- A two-tenant retail building with drive-through has been approved for the foamer Good & Loud site on University Avenue. Demolition and construction will probably move forward later this year.
- The former Gordie Boucher car dealership on Odana Road has been demolished. A new Carmax dealership will start construction later this year.
- Russ Darrow Kia is proposing to rebuild their dealership on Odana Road. The new building will occupy the same footprint as the current one. (Application not yet filed.)
- Wynwood Senior Living on S. Yellowstone is expanding. They will be renovating their existing two-story facility and adding a three-story addition.
Thanks for reading and staying in touch!
I welcome your questions and comments about this or any other city issue. Please contact me at email@example.com or 608-695-5709.
Subscribe to this blog and get e-mail updates on many other city topics by joining my.cityofmadison.com at the link below.
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Clear, District 19 email list:
- Coming soon: property tax installments
- Fire Station 2 Remodel
- Say farewell to Capt. Lengfeld with ...
- When will my leaves be picked up?
- Winter storm Saturday update
- Winter storm update
- 2012 City Budget Recap
- City Budget Week: Things to watch
- In defense of the Edgewater TIF
- New Midtown police district likely t...
- No, we are not closing the Ashman Li...
- Opposing property tax exemptions
- Redevelopment at 5225 University Avenue
- Two University Crossing meetings thi...
- University Crossing approved by Comm...
- University Crossing approved by Plan...
- University Crossing Update
- Did you vote yet? Polls are open unt...
- Going away for Spring Break? Vote Fi...
- Important Tuesday election info
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Vote on Tuesday!
- Beltline closed tonight!
- North Gammon Road: meeting results a...
- Old Middleton on-ramp to be closed M...
- Old Middleton ramp closed starting M...
- Reminder: Old Middleton on-ramp clos...
- University Avenue Construction Survi...
- University Avenue pre-construction i...
- University Avenue repaving -- Surprise!
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming M...
- Unversity Avenue lane shift coming T...
- What's happening on N. Gammon Road?
- About Little Manhattan
- ATC power line open house Thursday
- District 19 News and Notes for March 10
- District 19 News and Notes, March 31...
- District news and notes December 1
- District News and Notes for December 8
- District News and Notes for March 1
- District News and Notes for March 26
- MedDrop event this Saturday
- Neighborhood news and notes for Apri...
- Neighborhood news and notes for July 8
- Neighborhood news and notes for Sept...
- No water in Spring Harbor area
- Police training exercises at Spring ...
- Siren testing on Saturday 3/16/13
- Spring Harbor water back on
- Spring Harbor water outage follow up
- Surprise! Half-Marathon in our neigh...
- The legislature's war on cities
- The next two years
- Zoning Map Open House