Signs and street graphics are regulated in Madison to be sure they are safe, attractive and effective (City Ordinance Chapters 28, 31, and 33).
Discuss project with City Zoning staff
If you want to erect a sign or banner contact the Zoning Staff before ordering it. Each zoning district has its own standards for the number, size, height, location, type, illumination and other aspects of street graphics. Zoning staff can help you determine what is allowed at your site.
Who to contact:
Zoning at Building Permits, (608) 266-4551.
Where to go:
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
126 S Hamilton St.
Madison, WI 53703
Apply for Permit
Street graphics are evaluated on these criteria:
- compatibility with their surroundings
- appropriateness to the type of activity
- expression of the identity of the proprietor
- design and position for traffic safety
- use as an accessory to land and improvements
If the permit is approved, the permit will be issued once the fee is paid.