- Nickles Electric will continue installing underground facilities for street lighting and traffic signals. Crews will also continue installing street light poles on the south side of E. Johnson Street as well as traffic signal equipment.
- R.G. Huston will complete roadway excavation and base placement on the north side of E. Johnson Street between Blair and Livingston Streets.
- JW Schultz will begin placing curb and gutter between Livingston and Baldwin Streets on the north side of E. Johnson Street.
- Payne and Dolan will pave lower and upper layers of asphalt pavement on the north side of E. Johnson Street between Butler and Blair Streets and also pave upper layer of asphalt pavement on the south side of E. Johnson Street between Butler and Blair Street.
- West-Land restoration will place sod and roadway signs on the south side of E. Johnson Street between Butler and Blair Streets.
- Mega Rentals will maintain and adjust traffic control throughout the project to facilitate paving operations.
- Private utility contractors for MG&E and ATC will complete joint trench installation between Blount and Livingston Streets. Crews will then work on N. Butler Street and N. Livingston Street to complete pipe connections and testing.
Stage 3 Construct north side of E. Johnson Street, including joint trench for private utilities, sanitary sewer and water service laterals, electrical work, and roadway items.
Stage 5 Complete surface layer of asphalt pavement and pavement markings.
East Johnson Street traffic will remain reduced to one lane through the entire project. Current traffic patterns will be altered between N. Butler and N. Blair Street beginning Tuesday, October 21 to allow for asphalt paving.
Planned Intersection Closures:
N. Butler Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20 to Monday, October 27)
N. Butler Street south of E. Johnson Street (Tuesday, October 21)
N. Hamilton Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday October 20)
N. Hamilton Street south of E. Johnson Street (Tuesday October 21)
N. Hancock Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20)
N. Hancock Street south of E. Johnson Street (Tuesday, October 21)
N. Franklin Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20)
N. Franklin Street south of E. Johnson Street (Tuesday, October 21)
N. Blair Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20)
N. Blair Street south of E. Johnson Street (Tuesday, October 21)
N. Blount Street north of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20)
N. Livingston Street north of E. Johnson Street (long term closure)
N. Livingston Street south of E. Johnson Street (Monday, October 20 to Monday, October 27)
Project Completion Date: May 30, 2015
Anticipated Completion Date Stage 5: November 12, 2014
The proposed project includes reconstruction of East Johnson Street to a one-way, urban roadway, with 2-3 lanes, similar to the existing roadway. The proposed street layout will include two through lanes with additional lanes on each side of the street for parking or right turns. Parking lanes may be used for traffic during peak traffic hours. An on street bike lane will also be added with the project. The reconstruction of the street will include the replacement of the pavement, base material, curb and gutter and drive aprons. The proposed project will also include replacement of the sanitary sewer, water main and storm sewer systems as well as improvements to the street lighting and traffic signal systems. The existing sidewalk on both sides of the street will remain in place, with replacement of any damaged sections to ensure ADA compliance and replacement of any sections as required for installation of sanitary sewer laterals. All disturbed terrace areas will be restored with topsoil and reseeded.
Bi-Weekly Construction Meetings
The City will hold bi-weekly construction meetings during the project for public to ask questions and learn about the project. The next bi-weekly construction meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 3, at 1:00 pm in the 2nd floor Community room of the Constellation, 10 N Livingston Street. Following meetings will continue on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 1:00 in the same location. Interested businesses and residents are encouraged to attend.
Contacts during construction
Construction Oversight – Ryan Horst, Project Leader (414) 397-5329 email@example.com
Construction Field Office - (608) 575-1119
City Project Manager – Glen Yoerger, (608) 261-9177 firstname.lastname@example.org
City Traffic Engineering- Tom Mohr, (608) 267-8725 email@example.com
Full plan set: 53W0740 Plan Set
Special Provisions: 53W0740 specs
Summary of roadway improvements: Plan Details
In fall of 2011 through spring of 2012, the City studied the implications of converting Johnson and Gorham to two-way streets along the corridor. Two public meetings were held to discuss the results of the study and obtain public input.
The first meeting was held on Thursday, November 10th, at 6pm at the Christ Presbyterian Church at 944 E. Gorham St. A copy of the presentation can be found here: 2011-11-10 Presentation
The second public information meeting was held on March 1st at 6pm at the Christ Presbyterian Church at 944 E. Gorham St. A copy of the presentation can be found here: 2012-03-01 PIM Presentation Handout
A final report has been prepared regarding the study and can be found here: