Last Updated: 06/12/2018
Update - City Committee review of Atwood Avenue project scheduled - see details below
The proposed project includes pavement reconstruction, curb and gutter, existing sidewalk spot replacements and repairs, new multi-use path/sidewalk, Americans with Disabilities Act compliant curb ramps, storm sewer replacement, new street lighting, replacement of sanitary sewer and water main, new pavement marking, and new signs. The new bike path with adjacent sidewalk will primarily run parallel with Atwood Avenue with a portion that will continue along the existing path along Lake Monona and connect into Lakeland Avenue. The path will include a new pedestrian/bike bridge crossing over the Starkweather Creek parallel to the roadway bridge. New parking areas and street lighting are also included.
A portion of the street will have on-street bicycle accommodations as part of the project (see recent public mailer below). The exception being between Fair Oaks Avenue and Oakridge Avenue. Inbound cyclists have the opportunity of continuing on-street or divert to the nearby Capital City Trail. A wider 7-foot wide sidewalk will be provided on the south side of Atwood Avenue within this segment to accommodate added pedestrian volume and children with a destination of Lowell Elementary School.
Off-street bike facilities include a 10-foot wide path with an adjacent 5-foot wide sidewalk that extends along the south side of Atwood Avenue, between Oakridge Avenue and Dennett Street. On-street bike lanes will be provided from Dennett Drive to Cottage Grove Road. In addition, travel lanes are minimized from 11 feet to 10 feet at the intersection of Atwood Avenue and Cottage Grove Road in order to maintain the on-street bike lanes and sidewalks on both sides of the street without having large impacts to adjacent buildings and landscaping.
An additional 10-foot wide path will run along the north side of Atwood Avenue between Dennett Street and Sugar Avenue to provide access to facilities on the north side of Atwood Avenue including Olbrich Gardens and connectivity to the Capital City Trail.
Atwood Avenue - Cottage Grove Road to South Fair Oaks Avenue
Preliminary Design: 2016-2019
City committees will review the project geometry at the following public meetings:
- June 26, 2018 – Pedestrian, Bicycle & Motor Vehicle Commission
- July 11, 2018 – Board of Public Works
- July 24, 2018 – Common Council
The schedule above may change. Please see the clerks website for actual dates, times and room locations:
Public Mailer - June 12, 2018
This postcard was sent to residents and businesses along the corridor - Mailer
Since the most recent public meeting on April 9, 2018, the following design changes have been proposed based on the feedback that was received.
- Add bike lanes on the both sides of the roadway from Dennett Drive to Cottage Grove Road. This change would include removing the multi-use path from Dennett Drive to Cottage Grove Road. This change removes the need for bicyclists traveling northbound on Monona drive to cross the street at Cottage Grove Road. This change also moves the bicyclists onto lanes in the roadway along the portion of the corridor with the most driveways. This will increase sight distance and visibility of bicyclists from drivers exiting the driveways.
- The pedestrian sidewalk is being moved to the outside of the multi-use path on south side of Atwood Avenue in the area adjacent to Olbrich Park. This change will result in less conflicts between bicyclists and pedestrians as bicyclists move onto the on-street bike lanes. Exhibits showing the changes can be found here.
Public Meeting - April 9, 2018
The City held a public involvement meeting on Monday, April 9, 2018 from 6:30-8pm at Olbrich Botanical Gardens in the Atrium, 3330 Atwood Avenue, Madison, WI. Comments were received following the first public meeting this past October and this was an opportunity to see how we’ve considered comments and implemented them into the design. Information from the meeting can be found here:
Preliminary plans - Fair Oaks Ave to Olbrich
Preliminary plans - Olbrich to Cottage Grove Rd
Public Meeting - October 4, 2017
The City held a public involvement meeting on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 from 6:30-8pm at Olbrich Botanical Gardens in the Atrium, 3330 Atwood Avenue, Madison, WI. The City presented the preliminary design, answered questions and gathered input. Information from the meeting can be found here:
Preliminary Plans - Signal Alternative
Preliminary Plans - Roundabout Alternative