STORM SEWER & SEWER: STORM WATER UTILITY
WHAT IS THE STORM WATER UTILITY?
The Storm Water Utility is a public utility organized as a separate enterprise in the same fashion as the City's Water Utility, Sewer Utility, or Parking Utility. Assets owned by the utility include storm sewers, greenways, detention basins, and equipment used for managing the storm drainage system. The Utility is given the responsibility to provide for the public needs in the area of storm water management and comply with Federal and State laws. The Utility charges fees for operations and maintenance of facilities and for Capital Improvements. The Utility works to solve current drainage problems, prevent future problems, as well as repair, maintain, and enhance those facilities already constructed.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST AND WHO PAYS THE UTILITY?
Revenues generated by the Utility shall come from ALL parcels within the City of Madison. Prior to the formation of the Utility, stormwater management was paid for entirely by the parcels that paid property taxes. The utility charge per parcel is calculated adding (3) components (2012 rates):
- A customer charge of $5.70 per six months;
- An impervious area charge of $.0126075 per square foot per six months;
- A pervious area charge of $.0008875 per square foot per six months.
Pervious areas such as lawns generally absorb water. Impervious areas such as pavements and rooftops generally cause water to run off. All three billing components are shown on your billing statement. City Engineering has estimated that the "typical" Madison homeowner will pay $40.09 per six months ($80.18 annually).
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION OR DISCUSS MY BILL?
- You may contact the office of the City Engineer at (608) 266-4751, any business day between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., for additional information on the Storm Water Utility, or to discuss specifics of your billing.
- You can also initiate discussion via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOES THE CITY OFFER ANY STORM WATER UTILITY CREDITS?
Rate Adjustment Policy for the Storm Water Utility (pdf)
See Madison General Ordinances, access Chapter 37 for more information.