Why do I see two or three fire trucks at my local grocery store every morning?
This is a common question that many fire departments receive.
The Madison Fire Department is staffed by firefighters, paramedics and fire officers who work 24-hour shifts. A typical shift includes training, fire safety inspections, firehouse tours, checking the trucks and equipment, cleaning the station, shoveling the sidewalks, mowing the grass and responding to emergencies.
The members of the crew prepare and eat their meals at the fire station during their shift. At least one person or cook is in charge of preparing the meal and shopping for the groceries. The cook and crew decide on a menu and each crew member contributes some cash (about $10 each) to purchase groceries. The crews go to the store together to keep the response resources together in case there is an emergency.
After the morning duties are completed, the crew will go to the grocery store. The crew and truck are available for emergencies and receive calls from the dispatch center on their radios. Firefighters often leave a cart full of groceries in the aisle while they respond to an emergency. After the emergency is handled, they return to the store to finish their shopping.
Subscribe to Email List
- EMS Q&A: Where can I learn CPR?
- EMS Q&A: Did you know MFD paramedics are also firefighters?
- EMS Q&A: What should I expect after calling for an ambulance?
- EMS Q&A: What’s the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic? How many paramedics are on duty?
- EMS Q&A: Why does a fire truck come when I call for an ambulance?
Emergency Medical Services
Learn About The Madison Fire Department
- 100 Black Men of Madison
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- CARE Program
- Central Storage Warehouse fire
- Community Outreach
- Emergency Operation Center
- Fire Academy
- Fire Admin Project
- Fire Hydrants
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Prevention Week
- Fire Stations
- Ice Safety
- Join the Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Madison Police
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Frequently Asked Questions
- public health
- Public Safety
- Rural Water Movement
- Town of Blooming Grove
- Town of Burke
- Training & Professional Development
- Veterans Day
- Winter Safety