Seven new lieutenants were promoted earlier this year. We introduce them to you all week long on the MFD blog.
What is your new station and shift assignment?
Engine Co. 9 (Midvale Blvd.), "C" platoon
What was your previous assignment?
My first assignment was as a firefighter at Engine Co. 1 on Dayton Street. Shortly after, I was reassigned as a Firefighter/Paramedic and served at Medic 1, Medic 2, and Medic 9. In 2011, I was promoted to Apparatus Engineer and served with Ladder Co. 2 (Grand Canyon Dr.) and Ladder Co. 6 (Badger Rd.). Driving fire trucks for a living was a dream come true and it's the best job I've ever had.
How many years have you served with the MFD?
I was hired on October 27, 2003 with Recruit Group 23. It's hard to put into words how honored I feel to have been chosen to serve as a City of Madison firefighter. It's the best job in the world.
What's the most interesting call you've been on?
A few of the more challenging multi-alarm fires that I worked at were the St. Raphael Cathedral fire in 2005, the Roundhouse fire on Commercial Ave. in 2007, and the Underground Kitchen fire on Webster St. in 2011.
Other very rewarding calls have been the cardiac arrest, medical, and traumatic injury calls where people's lives were saved by the quick response and interventions of the City of Madison Fire Department's firefighters and paramedics.
I'm really lucky to have had the fortune of developing long-term friendships with some of the patients we've saved. They are wonderful people who are extremely grateful of our efforts– and we're humbled to have been put in the position to help them on those fateful days. It's great to see them doing so well and living life to the fullest. It's a unique connection and friendship we'll always have.
What do you do when you're not working at MFD?
When I'm off-duty, my most important job is as a husband and father of three great kids – Maggie (9), William (7), and Patrick (4). I also serve as Secretary/Treasurer for Fire Fighters Local 311 union. I play the bagpipes with Fire Fighters Local 311 Pipes & Drums and compete in regional highland games with the Madison Pipes & Drums. Playing the bagpipes and working for our union have been huge privileges – and it never feels like work when you're doing a job you love.
Anything else you'd like to share?
As both an employee and resident of the City of Madison, all residents of Madison should know they live in a safe community thanks to the dedicated firefighters, paramedics, and police officers who are working for us 24/7/365. Fully-staffed and equipped fire and police departments are the cornerstone of a safe and prosperous community like Madison.
Subscribe to Email List
- Meet Firefighter Marta Darrow
- Meet Firefighter Davy Calkins
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Beckwith
- MFD Introduces 18 New Firefighters!
- A Greener Firehouse: How Fire Station 12 LEEDs the Way
- Meet AE Brad Vogen
- Meet AE Vince Soto
- Meet AE Chad Powell
- Meet AE Daniel Pazurek
- Meet AE Todd Mahoney
- Meet Apparatus Engineer Cole Christenson
- Meet AE Derek Brown
- New Apparatus Engineers Now Serving In Your Neighborhood!
- Dane County EMS Banquet Honors Survivors, Responders Involved In Cardiac Saves
- On This Day In History: The First 911 Call Is Placed In 1968
- PHOTOS: Getting Up Close With The Lake Rescue Team
- Sable Flames "Second Alarm" Benefit Enters Its 24th Year
- Madison's Iranian Community Comes Together To Honor Firefighters
- Building Connections, Inspiring Kids: Engine 12 At Olson Elementary School
- Welcome Home: Cooper's Hawk Returns To Willy Street
- The Results Are In: 91 Donations Collected During the “Never Forget” Blood Drive
- Meet AE Ethan Dade
- Meet AE Wade Raddatz
- Meet AE Lance Radock
- Meet AE Jacob Conner
- Meet AE Dan Smith
- Meet AE Kevin Hembrook
- National Preparedness Month: Special Needs Disaster Planning
- Meet AE Tom Winter
- Meet AE Lori Karst
- MFD Introduces Eight New Apparatus Engineers
- Generous Grant Brings New "Jaws Of Life" Equipment To Ladder 6
- National Preparedness Month: Creating Communication and Evacuation Plans
- National Preparedness Month: Don't Wait. Communicate.
- “Doc Ops Day” Gives ER Docs A Taste Of Firefighter Life
- Two Years After Accident, Family And First Responders Celebrate 'A Miracle'
- Madison Fire Aims To Keep Injuries Well Under Par At PGA Championships
- “It’s Been A Great Ride," Says Retiring Driver John Lucille
- A Thank-You Gift For All To Enjoy
- “Friday Nights At the Y” Returns In 2016
- Meet Lt. Lisa Becher
- Meet Lt. Derek Teff
- Meet Lt. Casey Preimesberger
- Resources For Candidates Preparing For the Physical Ability Test
- Meet Lt. Sue Juedes
- Meet Lt. Ted Higgins
- Meet Lt. Matthew Mialik
- Meet Lt. Michael McCartney
- MFD Introduces Seven New Lieutenants
- Inside The Galaxie: Making Madison's Newest High Rise Safer For All
- Edgewood Students Donate Stuffed Animals For Kids Experiencing Trauma
- Apparatus Engineer "Recon Bob" Says Goodbye After 25 Years Of Service
- New Boat Enhances MFD Lake Rescue Capabilities
- With Gratitude, Division Chief Ron Schwenn Bids Farewell To the MFD
- New Training Technology Aims to Offer Full Immersion, Minus the Risks
- In the Midst Of Transitions, Our Crews Don't Miss A Beat
- Finance Manager Rita Johnson Retires After 44 Years With the City
- Farewell to West District Captain Tom Reiter
- Meet Firefighter Caluster Buie
- Meet Firefighter Steven Foulks
- Meet Firefighter Richard Miyagawa
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Balli
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Boyle
- Meet Firefighter Oscar Castillo
- Meet Firefighter David Bartkowiak
- Meet Firefighter Christopher Staveness
- Meet Firefighter Michael Guerten
- Meet Firefighter Marcus Bobholz
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Ramsey
- Meet Firefighter Michael Olson
- Meet Firefighter Eric Popovich
- Meet Firefighter Paul Schecklman
- Meet Firefighter Brian Tremain
- Meet Firefighter Cameron Gasaway
- Meet Firefighter Vaughn Brockel
- Why We Do What We Do: Remembering the Our Lady of the Angels Fire
- Meet Firefighter Brian Bieganski
- The Madison Fire Department Prepares For Inaugural "Shake the Lake" Event
- The Heavy Urban Rescue Team Practices Life-Saving Skills
- Safety Saturday 2015: A Day In Photos
- Firefighter Fun Day 2015 is Saturday, August 8
- Retired Firefighter Tim Healy Inducted Into Madison Sports Hall Of Fame
- Firefighter Ty Stebbins Sworn In
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- Alix Olson Award
- Awards & Recognition
- Battle Of the Badges
- Black History Month
- Community Outreach
- Dane County Public Safety Communications
- Fire Academy
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Safety School Tours
- Fire Stations
- Firefighter Fun Day
- Friday Nights at the Y
- Hazmat Team
- Heavy Urban Rescue Team
- Hiring & Promotions
- Join the Team
- Lake Rescue Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Behind the Scenes
- MFD Mailbag
- MFD Prevention Division
- National Preparedness Month
- Our Lady Of the Angels
- public health
- Public Safety
- Sable Flames
- Safety Town
- Shake the Lake
- The American Center
- Training & Professional Development
- UW Health
- Wanda Fullmore Youth Internship Program