MFD Community Educators and Firefighters Bring Fire Safety To A School Near You!
As October comes to an end, so does the Madison Fire Department's month-long tour of Madison-area schools.
Each year, fire departments across the country participate in Fire Prevention Week to commemorate the anniversary of the Chicago and Peshtigo Fires (which took place October 8, 1871).
Demand for Fire Safety education in Madison is high, keeping our Fire Prevention Officers and neighborhood firefighters extra busy throughout the month.
MFD paid visits to most elementary schools, including parochial schools, in the city of Madison and the village of Shorewood, reaching an estimated 7,000 kids in grades K-3.
Students learned important safety tips and practical advice for preventing fire-related incidents and injury.
"Hear the Beep Where You Sleep"
This year's Fire Prevention Week motto, "Hear the Beep Where You Sleep," reminds all families that working smoke detectors should be placed throughout the home-- in all bedrooms, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement.
Sparky the Fire Dog kicks off the MFD Fire Safety School Tour stop by teaching the ABCs of fire safety.
Community Education Officer Bernadette Galvez quizzes kids on what to do (and what not to do) if they encounter dangerous materials, such as matches and lighters. Children are also reminded that when they see other kids playing with fire, they need to leave the area and tell an adult.
Next, students learn a little bit about fire science. Smoke rises toward the ceiling, so staying low to the ground and crawling to safety is the way to go!
Galvez brings with her a wall cutout from an actual house fire to illustrate the point. This particular house fire melted away the smoke detector that had been installed.
"What Comes Next?"
Now it's the firefighters' turn!
When our crews suit up, they don't quite look or sound the same anymore. It's important for children to know what firefighters look like when they respond to a fire, otherwise they may be afraid and try to hide.
At each stop on the MFD Fire Safety School Tour, firefighters engage students in a game called "What Comes Next?" Kids play along to tell the firefighters how, exactly, to get suited up-- from boots to the self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Ready, Set, Go!
Finally, the festivities are capped off with a small obstacle course.
Students wait with anticipation on their hands and knees until a sounding smoke alarm sends them off!
Scurrying through a tunnel of "smoke" made of black fabric, they make their way to a door or window as directed by the firefighter at the end of the tunnel.
Before opening the door, they remember to touch the door with the back of heir hand to make sure it's not hot. Then they safely exit, closing the door behind them.
Meanwhile, some students team up to open the window and safely climb to the other side.
All students meet at a pre-determined safe meeting place, pictured here with Prevention Officer Lori Wirth. MFD brings a small tree to illustrate that a tree standing a safe distance away from a burning building can be a good marker for a meeting place. Trees are immobile and easy for everybody to find.
Once everybody has arrived to the safe meeting place, students return to their classrooms-- but not before thanking their friendly neighborhood firefighters with high-fives, handshakes, and applause!
The Madison Fire Department proudly serves to educate our youth about the dangers of fire through direct outreach such as the MFD Fire Safety School Tour.
Investing in fun, interactive education today is one step toward a safer tomorrow.
Learn more about our scheduling a school visit on our Children Fire Safety Presentations page!
Subscribe to Email List
- ER Docs Dive Into Firefighting During 'Doc Ops Day'
- MFD Lends Helping Hand At Gilbert Brown Football Camp
- Special Delivery: “Beltline Jax” Makes A Grand Entrance
- New Lease On Life: Oregon Man Reconnects With Crew That Helped Save Him
- 235 New Smoke Alarms Move Into Sherman Terrace!
- Captain Todd Steyer Wraps Up A Fulfilling 30-Year Career With MFD
- Calling All Volunteers! CampHERO Kicks Off Its 6th Season
- EMS Q&A: Where can I learn CPR?
- EMS Q&A: Did you know MFD paramedics are also firefighters?
- EMS Q&A: What should I expect after calling for an ambulance?
- EMS Q&A: What’s the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic? How many paramedics are on duty?
- EMS Q&A: Why does a fire truck come when I call for an ambulance?
- Meet Firefighter Maj-Britt Williams
- Meet Firefighter Adam Thimmig
- Meet Firefighter Ruth Savard
- Meet Firefighter Mike Reisman
- Meet Firefighter Trent Meicher
- Meet Firefighter Jonathon McCray
- Meet Firefighter Adam Lesser
- Meet Firefighter Patrick Johnson
- Meet Firefighter Kyle Homan
- Meet Firefighter Joe Gangler
- Meet Firefighter Justin Fehrenbach
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Dykstra
- Meet Firefighter Brandon Douglas
- Meet Firefighter Tamara Dinkel
- Meet Firefighter Marta Darrow
- Meet Firefighter Davy Calkins
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Beckwith
- MFD Introduces 18 New Firefighters!
- A Greener Firehouse: How Fire Station 12 LEEDs the Way
- Meet AE Brad Vogen
- Meet AE Vince Soto
- Meet AE Chad Powell
- Meet AE Daniel Pazurek
- Meet AE Todd Mahoney
- Meet Apparatus Engineer Cole Christenson
- Meet AE Derek Brown
- New Apparatus Engineers Now Serving In Your Neighborhood!
- Dane County EMS Banquet Honors Survivors, Responders Involved In Cardiac Saves
- On This Day In History: The First 911 Call Is Placed In 1968
- PHOTOS: Getting Up Close With The Lake Rescue Team
- Sable Flames "Second Alarm" Benefit Enters Its 24th Year
- Madison's Iranian Community Comes Together To Honor Firefighters
- Building Connections, Inspiring Kids: Engine 12 At Olson Elementary School
- Welcome Home: Cooper's Hawk Returns To Willy Street
- The Results Are In: 91 Donations Collected During the “Never Forget” Blood Drive
- Meet AE Ethan Dade
- Meet AE Wade Raddatz
- Meet AE Lance Radock
- Meet AE Jacob Conner
- Meet AE Dan Smith
- Meet AE Kevin Hembrook
- National Preparedness Month: Special Needs Disaster Planning
- Meet AE Tom Winter
- Meet AE Lori Karst
- MFD Introduces Eight New Apparatus Engineers
- Generous Grant Brings New "Jaws Of Life" Equipment To Ladder 6
- National Preparedness Month: Creating Communication and Evacuation Plans
- National Preparedness Month: Don't Wait. Communicate.
- “Doc Ops Day” Gives ER Docs A Taste Of Firefighter Life
- Two Years After Accident, Family And First Responders Celebrate 'A Miracle'
- Madison Fire Aims To Keep Injuries Well Under Par At PGA Championships
- “It’s Been A Great Ride," Says Retiring Driver John Lucille
- A Thank-You Gift For All To Enjoy
- “Friday Nights At the Y” Returns In 2016
- Meet Lt. Lisa Becher
- Meet Lt. Derek Teff
- Meet Lt. Casey Preimesberger
- Resources For Candidates Preparing For the Physical Ability Test
- Meet Lt. Sue Juedes
- Meet Lt. Ted Higgins
- Meet Lt. Matthew Mialik
- Meet Lt. Michael McCartney
- MFD Introduces Seven New Lieutenants
- Inside The Galaxie: Making Madison's Newest High Rise Safer For All
- Edgewood Students Donate Stuffed Animals For Kids Experiencing Trauma
- Apparatus Engineer "Recon Bob" Says Goodbye After 25 Years Of Service
- New Boat Enhances MFD Lake Rescue Capabilities
- With Gratitude, Division Chief Ron Schwenn Bids Farewell To the MFD
- New Training Technology Aims to Offer Full Immersion, Minus the Risks
- In the Midst Of Transitions, Our Crews Don't Miss A Beat
- Finance Manager Rita Johnson Retires After 44 Years With the City
- Farewell to West District Captain Tom Reiter
- Meet Firefighter Caluster Buie
- Meet Firefighter Steven Foulks
- Meet Firefighter Richard Miyagawa
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Balli
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Boyle
- Meet Firefighter Oscar Castillo
- Meet Firefighter David Bartkowiak
- Meet Firefighter Christopher Staveness
- Meet Firefighter Michael Guerten
- Meet Firefighter Marcus Bobholz
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Ramsey
- Meet Firefighter Michael Olson
- Meet Firefighter Eric Popovich
- Meet Firefighter Paul Schecklman
- Meet Firefighter Brian Tremain
- Meet Firefighter Cameron Gasaway
- Meet Firefighter Vaughn Brockel
- Why We Do What We Do: Remembering the Our Lady of the Angels Fire
- Meet Firefighter Brian Bieganski
- The Madison Fire Department Prepares For Inaugural "Shake the Lake" Event
- The Heavy Urban Rescue Team Practices Life-Saving Skills
- Safety Saturday 2015: A Day In Photos
- Firefighter Fun Day 2015 is Saturday, August 8
- Retired Firefighter Tim Healy Inducted Into Madison Sports Hall Of Fame
- Firefighter Ty Stebbins Sworn In
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- Alix Olson Award
- Awards & Recognition
- Battle Of the Badges
- Black History Month
- Community Outreach
- Dane County Public Safety Communications
- Fire Academy
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Safety School Tours
- Fire Stations
- Firefighter Fun Day
- Friday Nights at the Y
- Hazmat Team
- Heavy Urban Rescue Team
- Hiring & Promotions
- Join the Team
- Lake Rescue Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Behind the Scenes
- MFD Mailbag
- MFD Prevention Division
- National Preparedness Month
- Our Lady Of the Angels
- public health
- Public Safety
- Sable Flames
- Safety Town
- Shake the Lake
- The American Center
- Training & Professional Development
- UW Health
- Wanda Fullmore Youth Internship Program