With Gratitude, Division Chief Ron Schwenn Bids Farewell To the MFD
“This career has given me more than I’ve given it,” says retiring Division Chief Ron Schwenn as he reflects on 33 years in the fire and emergency medical services.
Schwenn came to the Madison Fire Department on June 1, 1987 after four and a half years as a firefighter and paramedic with the City of Janesville.
Yearning to serve on a larger department that sees more action, he first looked to Chicago before realizing that Madison was a much better match.
“Southern Wisconsin beats everywhere I’ve ever lived,” he says. "I wouldn’t trade this for the world.”
Fresh out of the Fire Academy, Schwenn was assigned to ride the ambulance as a paramedic out of Station 4 (Monroe St.) before moving to Station 1 (Dayton St.) four months later.
“It was a ball working downtown,” he says of working on the busiest ambulance in the city.
After a stint at Station 3 (Williamson St.), Schwenn was transferred to Station 6 on Park St. (“C” shift) where he enjoyed great camaraderie among the crew there— a company that stuck together for years and served as the first Hazmat specialists when the MFD implemented the Hazardous Incident Team.
He says some of his fondest memories are with that crew. “We grew up in our career together.”
Schwenn meticulously studied, trained, and prepared for the unexpected, and the unexpected often seemed to find him.
“Because of what we do, we get to see and be a part of unusual things,” he says. "That’s fantastic!”
Indeed, communities thrive and people survive because first responders like Schwenn fearlessly dive into difficult situations— and do so enthusiastically.
“I love pressure, I love challenges,” he says.
In his time with the Madison Fire Department, he and the crews he’s worked with have pulled eleven people out of fires. He says that’s a fairly high number for a firefighter.
“Most of us are involved with putting fires out [where] most people are evacuated without being unconscious,” he explained. "For whatever reason, I was in the right place at the right time.”
One of those places was the Rennebohm Pharmacy Building, across from University Hospital, after it collapsed in June 1999.
Schwenn was the lieutenant in charge of the Heavy Rescue Squad that day when a construction worker was pinned underneath concrete and a metal girder. After hours of unsuccessful attempts, the Squad was ultimately able to free the trapped worker, who now pays a phone call to Schwenn every year on the anniversary of the collapse.
Retiring at 53, having faced countless harrowing situations, Schwenn hasn’t lost the youthful sparkle in his eye— the same one he likely had when he entered the fire service over three decades ago.
He’s grateful to have worked with highly capable colleagues and officers who helped him become a better firefighter, paramedic, officer, and leader. As he advanced in his career, he resolved to provide the same mentorship to the up-and-comers.
Thousands of Madison’s residents and visitors have also benefited from Schwenn’s contributions, perhaps without realizing it. As Division Chief of Field Operations, Schwenn has been the MFD’s primary point of contact when a large event is in the works.
From Taste of Madison and Shake the Lake to Ironman and Freakfest, Schwenn’s keen eye for potential threats to life and safety ensured major community events were safe for participants and attendees, and equipped to provide adequate care if medical emergencies occurred.
As he turns in the keys to Command Car 31 in exchange for more time with his 1972 Chevy Nova "muscle car," he walks away with immense appreciation — not just for the department that gave him a rewarding career, but to the people of Madison as well.
He says the community has taken good care of the fire department, and it’s being repaid by having a high-quality workforce ready to help in people's darkest moments.
“They should be proud of the department, and they should use it whenever they need it,” he says.
With that trademark enthusiasm and shining grin, he adds, “Call us - we’ll be there!”
Subscribe to Email List
- Meet Firefighter Marta Darrow
- Meet Firefighter Davy Calkins
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Beckwith
- MFD Introduces 18 New Firefighters!
- A Greener Firehouse: How Fire Station 12 LEEDs the Way
- Meet AE Brad Vogen
- Meet AE Vince Soto
- Meet AE Chad Powell
- Meet AE Daniel Pazurek
- Meet AE Todd Mahoney
- Meet Apparatus Engineer Cole Christenson
- Meet AE Derek Brown
- New Apparatus Engineers Now Serving In Your Neighborhood!
- Dane County EMS Banquet Honors Survivors, Responders Involved In Cardiac Saves
- On This Day In History: The First 911 Call Is Placed In 1968
- PHOTOS: Getting Up Close With The Lake Rescue Team
- Sable Flames "Second Alarm" Benefit Enters Its 24th Year
- Madison's Iranian Community Comes Together To Honor Firefighters
- Building Connections, Inspiring Kids: Engine 12 At Olson Elementary School
- Welcome Home: Cooper's Hawk Returns To Willy Street
- The Results Are In: 91 Donations Collected During the “Never Forget” Blood Drive
- Meet AE Ethan Dade
- Meet AE Wade Raddatz
- Meet AE Lance Radock
- Meet AE Jacob Conner
- Meet AE Dan Smith
- Meet AE Kevin Hembrook
- National Preparedness Month: Special Needs Disaster Planning
- Meet AE Tom Winter
- Meet AE Lori Karst
- MFD Introduces Eight New Apparatus Engineers
- Generous Grant Brings New "Jaws Of Life" Equipment To Ladder 6
- National Preparedness Month: Creating Communication and Evacuation Plans
- National Preparedness Month: Don't Wait. Communicate.
- “Doc Ops Day” Gives ER Docs A Taste Of Firefighter Life
- Two Years After Accident, Family And First Responders Celebrate 'A Miracle'
- Madison Fire Aims To Keep Injuries Well Under Par At PGA Championships
- “It’s Been A Great Ride," Says Retiring Driver John Lucille
- A Thank-You Gift For All To Enjoy
- “Friday Nights At the Y” Returns In 2016
- Meet Lt. Lisa Becher
- Meet Lt. Derek Teff
- Meet Lt. Casey Preimesberger
- Resources For Candidates Preparing For the Physical Ability Test
- Meet Lt. Sue Juedes
- Meet Lt. Ted Higgins
- Meet Lt. Matthew Mialik
- Meet Lt. Michael McCartney
- MFD Introduces Seven New Lieutenants
- Inside The Galaxie: Making Madison's Newest High Rise Safer For All
- Edgewood Students Donate Stuffed Animals For Kids Experiencing Trauma
- Apparatus Engineer "Recon Bob" Says Goodbye After 25 Years Of Service
- New Boat Enhances MFD Lake Rescue Capabilities
- With Gratitude, Division Chief Ron Schwenn Bids Farewell To the MFD
- New Training Technology Aims to Offer Full Immersion, Minus the Risks
- In the Midst Of Transitions, Our Crews Don't Miss A Beat
- Finance Manager Rita Johnson Retires After 44 Years With the City
- Farewell to West District Captain Tom Reiter
- Meet Firefighter Caluster Buie
- Meet Firefighter Steven Foulks
- Meet Firefighter Richard Miyagawa
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Balli
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Boyle
- Meet Firefighter Oscar Castillo
- Meet Firefighter David Bartkowiak
- Meet Firefighter Christopher Staveness
- Meet Firefighter Michael Guerten
- Meet Firefighter Marcus Bobholz
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Ramsey
- Meet Firefighter Michael Olson
- Meet Firefighter Eric Popovich
- Meet Firefighter Paul Schecklman
- Meet Firefighter Brian Tremain
- Meet Firefighter Cameron Gasaway
- Meet Firefighter Vaughn Brockel
- Why We Do What We Do: Remembering the Our Lady of the Angels Fire
- Meet Firefighter Brian Bieganski
- The Madison Fire Department Prepares For Inaugural "Shake the Lake" Event
- The Heavy Urban Rescue Team Practices Life-Saving Skills
- Safety Saturday 2015: A Day In Photos
- Firefighter Fun Day 2015 is Saturday, August 8
- Retired Firefighter Tim Healy Inducted Into Madison Sports Hall Of Fame
- Firefighter Ty Stebbins Sworn In
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- Alix Olson Award
- Awards & Recognition
- Battle Of the Badges
- Black History Month
- Community Outreach
- Dane County Public Safety Communications
- Fire Academy
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Safety School Tours
- Fire Stations
- Firefighter Fun Day
- Friday Nights at the Y
- Hazmat Team
- Heavy Urban Rescue Team
- Hiring & Promotions
- Join the Team
- Lake Rescue Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Behind the Scenes
- MFD Mailbag
- MFD Prevention Division
- National Preparedness Month
- Our Lady Of the Angels
- public health
- Public Safety
- Sable Flames
- Safety Town
- Shake the Lake
- The American Center
- Training & Professional Development
- UW Health
- Wanda Fullmore Youth Internship Program