Incident Type
Outdoor
Dispatch
Monday, August 14, 2017 - 8:54pm
Arrival
Monday, August 14, 2017 - 8:59pm
Address
1400 Block Trailsway
Madison, WI
Narrative

A passerby called 911 upon noticing a portable fire pit had tipped over, allowing its contents to burn on the ground near a Trailsway apartment building.

The pit was just three feet from the front of the building and only about ten feet from the lowest portion of the overhang of the entryway, yet nobody was around to take responsibility for the fire. It easily could have grown out of control and spread to the building. 

Engine Company 10 extinguished the fire, which mainly consisted of fire wood and logs. They made contact with a building manager who was concerned that someone was burning on the property. 

The individual who witnesses say was responsible for the fire could not be located. Engine 10 reminded other tenants present not to conduct open burning in such close proximity to the building. The building manager went a step further and notified all tenants that burning on the property is prohibited.

Posted 08/15/2017 - 6:56am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)