Active Stove Top Brings Firefighters To East Side Restaurant

Incident Type
Smoke Scare
Saturday, September 2, 2017 - 3:05am
Saturday, September 2, 2017 - 3:07am
1200 Block Williamson Street
Madison, WI 53705

Engine Company 3 and other crews were dispatched to an east-side restaurant after a resident in an adjacent apartment began smelling smoke.

Firefighters noted haze inside Jamerica Restaurant on Williamson Street when peering through window. Nobody appeared to be inside, and no smoke detectors were activated. Tenants from the upstairs apartment were standing outside as firefighters continued their investigation. The residents stated their apartment had a slight haze and smell of something burning.

The second floor was checked and no hazards were found. Firefighters then entered the first floor and searched the restaurant for the source of smoke. They found a very large pot on the stove and a stove burner still active underneath the pot.

The burner was turned off, and Ladder 1 ventilated the restaurant until the air was clear. The active burner was caught early enough that no additional damage occurred.

Posted 09/05/2017 - 9:56am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)