Attempt To Thaw Pipes Leads To Fire Inside Basement Wall

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 6:05pm
Arrival
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 6:10pm
Address
4100 Block Mineral Point Road
Madison, WI
Narrative

A basement wall caught fire after an occupant took a heat gun to some pipes in an attempt to thaw them out.

The homeowner told firefighters he was trying to warm up a kitchen supply line in his house. He had been working on it for about 15 minutes before heading upstairs to the kitchen to see if his attempts were successful. When he returned to the basement, he noticed smoke and called 911.

Engine Company 9 arrived first to find moderate smoke in the kitchen. Other responding fire crews were advised of a working fire in the basement.

Firefighters knocked down the seat of the fire with a water can extinguisher. Ladder Company 2, Engine Company 4, and Medic 4 assisted in the search for fire extension and overhaul. In addition to the basement area where the fire began, the space underneath the kitchen sink was soaked down to put a stop to the spreading fire.

Damage was contained, and Ladder Company 2 assisted with board-up of the affected areas. Nobody was injured or displaced by the incident.

Posted 01/31/2019 - 8:22am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)