One person was displaced early Sunday morning by a burst water pipe in the radiator system used to heat their apartment.
Engine Company 10 and other fire companies responded to the 500 block of Northport Drive after initial reports indicated smoke was filling the building. Engine 10 quickly determined that the smoke people saw was actually steam, and they traced the steam to a broken water line in one of the apartments.
Firefighters shut off the water supply to the wall heaters in that apartment but also found that water had been leaking into the apartment below, as well as the basement. Firefighters provided assistance to the tenants below, but the occupant of the main apartment was not able to stay there. Madison Police offered that individual a ride to a relative’s place so they had a place to stay.
Building maintenance were on site and began addressing the water issue right away.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)