Bumped Burner Ignites Air Fryer, Sending Engine 9 To West Side Home

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Monday, January 7, 2019 - 7:50pm
Arrival
Monday, January 7, 2019 - 7:53pm
Address
600 Block N. Blackhawk Drive
Madison, WI
Narrative

Firefighters were called to a west side home after an air fryer caught fire. The resident said they placed the air fryer on top of the stove to make dinner. In doing so, they accidentally bumped a burner knob, turning it on. The stovetop burner became hot enough to ignite the plastic shell of the air fryer.

The homeowner called 911, sending Engine Company 9 and other nearby crews to their house. When firefighters arrived, the air fryer had already been carried outside on a pizza stone but was still on fire.

Engine 9 promptly extinguished the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. The kitchen stove and nearby cabinets were checked for fire extension, and firefighters confirmed the fire was isolated to the air fryer. Ladder Company 2 assisted Engine 9 with ventilating the home. Nobody was injured or displaced by the fire.

Posted 01/08/2019 - 6:28am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)