Car Left Running Kicks Up Carbon Monoxide In West Side Home

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 7:56pm
Arrival
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 8:02pm
Address
Wyota Avenue
Madison, WI
Narrative

A carbon monoxide alarm prompted one household to call 911, sending Engine Company 4 to Wyota Avenue. Firefighters entered the home to find carbon monoxide throughout the home, topping out at 120 parts per million. 

Firefighters opened windows and ventilated the house to clear the air. The homeowner stated he was painting the kitchen earlier that day. Additionally, one of the vehicles in his garage was having battery issues, and the vehicle was left running in the garage in order to charge the battery.

MGE arrived and checked the furnace, hot water heater, and other appliances commonly known to be sources of carbon monoxide issues. However, all appliances were working normally. It’s believed that the car left running in the attached garage and/or fumes from the paint products were the source of CO.

Nobody reported experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. CO levels returned to zero after the home was thoroughly ventilated.

Posted 11/28/2018 - 10:07am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)