Carbon Monoxide Detector Triggered By Boiling Cauliflower

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:33pm
Arrival
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:47pm
Address
20 Block Sherman Terrace
Madison, WI
Narrative

Engine Company 3 was sent to an apartment on Sherman Terrace to look into why a carbon monoxide detector was sounding. 

20 parts per million of carbon monoxide were first detected at the front door. Those readings reached above 30 ppm as firefighters suited up and put on their self-contained breathing apparatuses. They searched every room to try to identify possible sources of the carbon monoxide. 

After the apartment was ventilated, the occupant informed firefighters that she had been boiling cauliflower for a long period of time. Firefighters determined this was the source of incomplete combustion that led to the carbon monoxide readings. 

MGE had been called to assist, but they were released from the scene once the carbon monoxide source was identified.

Posted 10/12/2017 - 9:41am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)