Carbon Monoxide Leak Traced To New Oven

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:57am
Arrival
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:05am
Address
Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood
Madison, WI
Narrative

One person became ill but did not require transport to the hospital following a carbon monoxide leak at her home.

A woman was baking when her CO alarm went off and she came down with a headache. She told Engine Company 4 her oven was brand new.

When firefighters turned the oven back on, their handheld air monitor showed CO levels at 27 parts per million. They turned the oven off again and checked the air quality in other areas of the home, including the basement near the hot water heater. Firefighters determined the carbon monoxide leak was exclusive to the new oven. They advised the occupant to keep the oven turned off and to call the landlord to have this issue addressed.

After the home was ventilated, the occupant was advised she could stay there for the night, but if alarms sounded again she should call 911. 

Posted 09/13/2018 - 11:53am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)