Carbon Monoxide Linked To Running Vehicle
Occupants of a small nursing home were prepared to evacuate Thursday morning following a carbon monoxide leak. Nobody reported symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning when Ladder Company 2 responded to Brompton Circle. Initial readings indicated CO levels at 40-70 parts per million.
MGE was asked to respond, and a City of Madison Metro Bus was initially dispatched so occupants and staff members would have a warm place to stay while firefighters and utility technicians resolve the problem.
MGE determined the CO leak did not come from any of the appliances in the building. One person on site stated she’d let her vehicle warm up in the garage that morning, and she advised that was most likely the CO source.
By this time, CO levels had dropped quickly on their own, and Ladder 2’s air monitor indicated CO levels returned to zero.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)