Carbon Monoxide Linked To Running Vehicle

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 8:03am
Arrival
Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 8:07am
Address
Brompton Circle
Madison, WI
Narrative

Occupants of a small nursing home were prepared to evacuate Thursday morning following a carbon monoxide leak. Nobody reported symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning when Ladder Company 2 responded to Brompton Circle. Initial readings indicated CO levels at 40-70 parts per million.

MGE was asked to respond, and a City of Madison Metro Bus was initially dispatched so occupants and staff members would have a warm place to stay while firefighters and utility technicians resolve the problem.

MGE determined the CO leak did not come from any of the appliances in the building. One person on site stated she’d let her vehicle warm up in the garage that morning, and she advised that was most likely the CO source.

By this time, CO levels had dropped quickly on their own, and Ladder 2’s air monitor indicated CO levels returned to zero.

Posted 11/30/2018 - 8:35am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)