Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Friday, September 22, 2017 - 2:09pm
Arrival
Friday, September 22, 2017 - 2:11pm
Address
4900 Block Whitcomb Drive
Madison, WI
Narrative

A family safely evacuated their apartment Friday after a pot of food they were cooking ignited into flames and grew out of hand.

One occupant says she was heating oil to prepare a meal when she was interrupted by one of her children. She left the kitchen and returned to find flames on the stove. After placing the pan of oil into the sink, she located her children and they all safely evacuated the building to wait for firefighters.

Upon entering the apartment, Medic 7 found a small amount of fire still active on the stove top and extinguished it. Ladder Company 7 ventilated the unit and assessed damages, which included damage to the exhaust hood and cabinets near the stove.

Posted 09/25/2017 - 1:55pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)