Cooking Fire Displaces Family, Sends Two To Hospital

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Friday, May 11, 2018 - 1:34pm
Arrival
Friday, May 11, 2018 - 1:40pm
Address
1900 Block Beld Street
Madison, WI 53713
Narrative

A fire that displaced a family on Beld Street and sent two children to the hospital was caused by unattended cooking, Madison Fire Department investigators determined.

The City of Madison Fire Department was called to the 1900 block of Beld Street at 1:34 p.m. after witnesses reported flames seen inside the house.

Upon arrival, Ladder Company 6 confirmed flames showing on one side of a single-family residential home. As they proceeded with fire attack, firefighters from Ladder Company 6 and Engine Company 4 began search and rescue.

Bystanders reported nobody was home, but firefighters continued with their search through heavy smoke, low visibility, and across several obstacles to find two children inside. Both were transported to a local hospital with their mother to be seen for non-life threatening injuries.

The fire was knocked down within two minutes of attack, but the home did suffer significant fire and smoke damage.

The fire has been ruled accidental due to unattended cooking. Damage estimates are not yet available.

Posted 05/11/2018 - 3:56pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)