Damaged Water Heater Causes Carbon Monoxide Leak

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 8:30pm
Arrival
Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 8:35pm
Address
100 Block Division Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

A working alarm and early reporting of symptoms helped firefighters identify a carbon monoxide leak in an east-side apartment building.

Engine Company 3 and Medic 3 were dispatched to the 100 block of Division Street with one resident complaining of nausea. She also said her CO detector began going off and she opened the windows.

Firefighters entered the building and detected low levels of CO on their air monitors as they explored the main hallway and the patient’s apartment. Other building occupants were prompted to evacuate until the matter could be investigated and resolved.

MGE responded as well, finding damage to the water heater which was sending exhaust back into the furnace room rather than outside the building. The MGE technician capped the gas line to the appliance and placed the water heater out of service.

All occupants were able to return, and nobody was taken to the hospital.

Posted 11/01/2018 - 9:09am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)