Discarded Cigarette Believed To Be the Cause Of Small Curbside Fire

Incident Type
Outdoor
Dispatch
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 5:10pm
Arrival
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 5:11pm
Address
Northport Drive & N. Sherman Avenue
Madison, WI
Narrative

Engine Company 10 was dispatched to the intersection of Northport Drive and N. Sherman Avenue for a pile of leaves along the curb that had caught on fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters spread out the smoldering leaves and extinguished them with a combination of water and foam. They found a discarded cigarette butt in the pile and no other potential ignition sources.

Although this occurred during rush hour, there were no witnesses present to explain who might have discarded the cigarette.

No damage was done, but as leaves begin to fall for the autumn season, this incident serves as a reminder to carefully and safely discard cigarettes and other smoking materials in proper receptacles. 

Posted 09/21/2017 - 9:54am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)