Fire Breaks Out After Cook Steps Away From Stove

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 - 6:13pm
Arrival
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 - 6:17pm
Address
1100 Block Morraine View Drive
Madison, WI
Narrative

Unattended cooking is to blame for a fire that sent Madison Fire crews to a Morraine View Drive apartment.

Ladder Company 7, Engine Company 7, and other west side firefighters responded after 911 callers reported smoke in the building and a cooking fire that had been extinguished by a resident.

Moderate smoke on the second floor led firefighters to one unit which had been evacuated. A frying pan left in the sink was still giving off heat, and firefighters noted fire damage to the microwave and cabinets above the stove. Crews confirmed the fire did not spread into nearby walls.

The occupant said she was heating oil with the stove on “high” when she went to do some cleaning. About 3-5 minutes later, a smoke detector alerted her to the fire. She moved the pan to the sink and extinguished the fire.

Everyone was able to return to their apartments, and there were no injuries.

Posted 11/07/2018 - 11:27am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)