Incident Type
Appliance
Dispatch
Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:26pm
Arrival
Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:30pm
Address
100 Block N. First Street
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

Some residents on N. First Street tossed some clothes in their dryer and walked away for about 30 minutes before the smoke detector in the basement alerted them to a problem.

The occupants discovered fire inside when they opened the dryer door. They immediately closed the door to contain the fire, then left to alert neighbors and call 911. They also obtained a fire extinguisher from down the street and put out the majority of the fire as Engine Company 3 responded to the home.

Firefighters were met with light white smoke as they descended into the basement. Smoke grew heavier as they approached the dryer. Engine Company 3 unplugged the dryer and removed the burning clothes. The drum of the dryer was melted and immobile due to the fire damage; however, the fire did not extend beyond the dryer and damage was contained.

The commercial appliance had just been repaired that morning, but it's unknown how this fire began.
 

Posted 08/16/2017 - 9:10am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)