Fire Damages Kitchen, Bathroom At Mallards Concession Stand

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 1:27pm
Arrival
Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 1:29pm
Controlled
Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 1:50pm
Address
2900 Block N. Sherman Ave
Madison, WI
Narrative

The Madison Fire Department was called to the Madison Mallards “Duck Pond” Sunday afternoon after thick black smoke was seen coming from the vents on the side of a large concession building.

Medic 10 was first on scene and was met with heat and heavy smoke upon opening a bathroom door. Engine Company 3 supplied a hose and began fire attack in the bathroom. Engine 8 and Ladder 8 made access to the kitchen and food prep area, where they knocked down the fire there and reported heavy damage to the grill and hood vent area.

Initial knockdown of the fire was achieved at 1:50 p.m., and firefighters began searching for any remaining hot spots before beginning ventilation.

Investigators concluded this fire was accidental in nature due to a grill being left on and unattended. Subsequently, a grease trap was ignited, aiding the spread of the fire from the kitchen into the bathroom. It’s estimated the fire caused approximately $50,000 in damage. The Public Health Department has been notified of the incident.

Posted 09/25/2017 - 1:36pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)