Firefighters Extinguish Unapproved Backyard Fire

Incident Type
Unauthorized Burning
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 - 12:36am
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 - 12:43am
1300 Block N. Sherman Ave
Madison, WI

Engine Company 10 was dispatched to a Sherman Ave. residence in response to concerns that a “bonfire” there was creating a fire hazard.

Firefighters were met by three people who were burning a fire in the backyard. Engine 10 determined the fire was indeed in an unapproved fire pit that lacked screens or a spark arrestor, and it was situated too close to a garage that had combustible wood siding and overhanging trees. Among the materials burning in the fire pit was yard waste, which is prohibited in the City of Madison. Only clean dry wood may be burned.

Engine 10’s crew asked the individuals to put out the fire, and they were compliant with the request.

Posted 11/01/2017 - 2:02pm

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)