Firefighters Find Sleeping Occupant, Burned Food Inside Northside Apartment

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 1:29am
Arrival
Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 1:34am
Address
Monterey Drive
Madison, WI 53704
Narrative

A northside resident was sound asleep as firefighters entered his apartment to find out why smoke detectors were going off inside.

A neighbor called 911 upon hearing the alarms and smelling something burning in another unit. Engine Company 10 arrived to find the occupant asleep inside his apartment with a 40-ounce beer can near his feet and a pot of diced potatoes burning on the stovetop.

Firefighters removed the pan from the burner and placed it in the sink. They shook the occupant several times before he woke up. They escorted him outside so they could open the windows and begin ventilating his apartment with an electric fan.

Thanks to the early call by an alert neighbor, firefighters were on scene quickly, and nobody was harmed or displaced on account of the incident.

Posted 08/28/2017 - 8:59am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)