Firefighters Pinpoint Carbon Monoxide Leak To Oven

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 - 8:07pm
Arrival
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 - 8:13pm
Address
2000 Block Monroe Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

A man reported feeling a little nauseous after carbon monoxide alarms alerted him to a problem brewing in his home.

Engine Company 4 responded to the 2000 block of Monroe Street to determine what caused the carbon monoxide alarms to activate. The resident said the gas dryer was running, and that the stove and oven had been used about an hour and a half prior to alarms sounding.

Firefighters found no carbon monoxide around the dryer, hot water heater, and boiler, but levels began to tick upward once they began to pre-heat the oven. The oven was turned off, and the homeowner was advised to keep it off until it can be replaced or repaired.

After some fresh air exchange, the home was safe to occupy, and the resident did not seek medical attention.

Posted 10/03/2018 - 7:36am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)