Flames Seen After Electrical Outlet Shorts Out In Downtown Office

Incident Type
Electrical
Dispatch
Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:47pm
Arrival
Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:51pm
Address
600 Block N. Frances Street
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

The Madison Fire Department responded to the Surfside Apartment late Thursday after a building manager saw an electrical outlet short out, with flames showing briefly, in the building's rental office.

Engine 1 went down to the office and found a blackened, shorted-out outlet. There was no visible fire or heat showing on firefighters’ thermal imaging camera. An air conditioning window unit had been plugged in the outlet until it shorted out and was unplugged by the building manager.

The building manager stated she hadn’t had any issues with the window unit before. Firefighters cut power to the entire room, and they checked for fire extension inside the drywall. No extension outside of the electrical box was found.

The building manager was advised to keep power off and have an electrician service the outlet as soon as possible.

Posted 06/16/2017 - 9:08am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)