Gas Leak Causes Evacuation on West Side

Incident Type
Gas Leak
Monday, August 21, 2017 - 8:33am
4300 Block Crawford Dr
Madison, WI 53711

A gas leak caused occupants on the west side to be evacuated Monday morning after MG&E found high readings outside a home on the 4000 block of Crawford Drive. Madison Fire crews were called to assist in evacuating homes on Crawford Dr. and Helene Pkwy around 8:30 am as a precaution. Madison Police assisted with traffic control.

According to neighbors, the home owner of 4353 Crawford has been recovering from a health issue and has not been home for a couple of weeks.

MG&E turned the gas and electric off to 4353 Crawford Drive and surrounding homes. Madison Fire personnel protected the scene and waited for the gas to dissipate. The bike path and Marlborough park was also closed to traffic during the incident.

Residents were able to reenter their homes around 1:30 pm after a MG&E representatives checked their home to be sure the gas levels were safe.

After it was found the levels were safe, MG&E also restored gas and electric to area homes, except for 4353 Crawford Drive.

The home owner of 4353 Crawford Drive was updated throughout the incident.

Madison Metro Transit provided a bus for residents while they waited for the gas to dissipate.

No one was injured during the incident.

Posted 08/21/2017 - 4:02pm

Bernadette Galvez, 608-243-0180