Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Saturday, August 5, 2017 - 7:30pm
Arrival
Saturday, August 5, 2017 - 7:34pm
Address
2300 Block S. Park Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

Residents evacuated as Ladder Company 6 and other Madison Fire Department crews responded to a fire alarm on S. Park Street.

One occupant approached firefighters to report a fire on his kitchen stove. Ladder 6 and Medic 6 entered the building with a water can extinguisher. They encountered light smoke in the second-floor hallway and confronted black smoke when they entered the unit where the fire burned.

Firefighters found a small fire on top of the stove and immediately extinguished it. Ladder 6 verified the fire did not extend to the walls and kitchen cabinets.

After the fire was out, investigators and firefighters spoke with the occupant, who said he was making cheese curds on the stovetop. The grease became too hot and ignited. When he was unable to put out a fire with an extinguisher, he left the building and pulled the fire alarm on his way out, effectively alerting other occupants to evacuate. 

There was minor damage to the cabinet directly above the stove and smoke damage in the kitchen, but the occupant was not displaced.

Posted 08/07/2017 - 10:09am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)