Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 6:15pm
Arrival
Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 6:16pm
Address
400 Block S. Gammon Road
Madison, WI
Narrative

Ladder 2 was about a block away when they and other MFD crews received the call for a fire at Denny’s on Gammon Road.

Staff and customers evacuated the restaurant as firefighters arrived to find black smoke coming from what appeared to be the rooftop exhaust.

An assistant manager identified himself to firefighters and stated a fire ignited on the stovetop. He used a fire extinguisher to try putting it out, but a small amount of flames continued to burn as Ladder 2 entered the kitchen. Additional extinguishers were applied to put the fire completely out.

The rooftop exhaust and surrounding areas were checked, and firefighters confirmed the fire had not extended to the roof. All damage was contained to the kitchen area. The Public Health Department has been called to the restaurant. Nobody was injured during the incident.

Posted 08/24/2017 - 8:49pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)