Lint Buildup In Dryer Vent Causes Small Fire On East Side

Incident Type
Appliance
Dispatch
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 6:48pm
Arrival
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 6:54pm
Address
Gem Court
Madison, WI 53705
Narrative

A dryer fire sent a full structure fire response to a home on Gem Court Wednesday evening.

Engine Company 5 and other crews noted light smoke showing from one corner of the home as they approached the scene. The resident greeted firefighters and gave instructions for finding the laundry room in the basement. She confirmed everyone was out of the residence, including the family dog.

Firefighters first sprayed the exterior of the dryer with a water can extinguisher, then opened the dryer door and found flames in the area of the lint trap. Engine 5 extinguished the fire, then focused their attention on checking for fire extension and clearing smoke from the home.

Some singed clothes were placed in a basket and brought outside. Firefighters also removed the dryer vent and checked for additional fire.  They did find a thick layer of lint inside the vent tubing, but the fire had not extended beyond the dryer.

Nobody was injured during the incident. The home was protected by working smoke detectors.

Posted 09/14/2017 - 1:42pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)