Oven Left On Inside Vacant Apartment Causes Minor Damage

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:21am
Arrival
Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:24am
Address
500 Block W. Doty St
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

Firefighters were called to a downtown apartment complex after neighbors heard a smoke detector sounding in one of the units and smelled something burning. What could be burning was a mystery because the apartment is reportedly vacant.

Ladder Company 1 was first on scene but reported no indication of smoke or fire from the outside. On the second floor, they located the apartment with the sounding alarm.

With the door locked and no available key vault to provide master key, firefighters forced entry. They found the oven broiler turned on “high” with a wooden kitchen table situated next to the oven. The stove was extremely hot, and the adjacent laminated countertop was slightly damaged as well.

Building maintenance was contacted, and they informed firefighters that cleaners had been in the unit on Tuesday. It’s believed the cleaners left the oven on.

Posted 08/18/2017 - 7:44am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)