Person Getting Off Bus Smells Something Burning and Notices Smoke Coming From Home

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Thursday, December 6, 2018 - 4:28pm
Arrival
Thursday, December 6, 2018 - 4:31pm
Address
200 Block N. Owen Drive
Madison, WI 53705
Update

This fire has been ruled accidental and was the result of a failure in an electrical cord. The fire extended to an adjacent bookshelf, chair, and artificial Christmas tree.

--PIO Cynthia Schuster

Posted 12/07/2018 - 11:30am
Narrative

A person getting off a metro bus noticed a strong burning smell. They walked down the block and noticed smoke coming from the top of a house about four houses from their bus stop and called 911. They rang the doorbell, but no one answered. The person told the 911 Communications Center the smell was getting stronger and they noticed smoke around the roof area, but did not see any flames. The caller stayed outside the residence to direct the fire crews to the home.

Firefighters arrived within three minutes. When firefighters opened the back door they noticed smoke was banked down to the floor. As crews were conducting a search, they saw two crates with dogs inside and pulled them outside to safety. One of the dogs was given oxygen, using a pet oxygen mask and was taken to the vet. Both dogs were reported to be doing well. The fire was quickly extinguished and fans were used to ventilate the home of the smoke.

The single occupant of the home was at work when the fire broke out. A cat also lives in the home and is believed to be hiding inside or may have run out in the neighborhood.

MG&E and MPD also assisted at the fire scene.

There was smoke damage throughout the home and fire damage in the living room area.

The fire is under investigation. Estimated loss is $60,000. The homeowner has insurance and immediately contacted their agent.

 

Posted 12/06/2018 - 8:23pm
Contacts

Bernadette Galvez, 608-243-0180