Madison Fire Department was dispatched at 4:04 this morning to the 500 Block of West Washington Avenue for a full structure fire response. Two residents that were found trapped on their second story balcony were safely rescued by Engine 3’s crew with ground ladders. Crews had the fire knocked down at 4:18.
Improperly discarded fireworks in a first floor unit of the 6 unit, 3 story flat was determined as the cause of the fire.
Fire damage was contained to the unit of origin.
The rest of the structure sustained smoke damage.
All residents were displaced as a result of the fire.
Damages are estimated at $50,000.
The investigation is complete and the property has been turned over to the owners and their insurance representatives.