Self-Cleaning Oven Activates Smoke Detector In East Side Apartment
A neighbor on the 900 block of East Johnson Street called for assistance from the Madison Fire Department upon hearing smoke alarms sounding in another unit in the building.
There were no signs of smoke or fire as Engine Company 3 approached the building. A resident pointed them to the unit with the activated alarm. Firefighters climbed to the balcony and accessed the apartment. They learned that the occupant, who wasn’t home at the time, was cleaning their oven using the self-cleaning mode on the appliance.
Firefighters shut off the oven and ventilated the apartment. They confirmed there was no heat or fire extension and turned the building over to maintenance staff prior to leaving.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)