Smoke Alarm Alerts Occupant To Fire Brewing In Kitchen

Incident Type
Thursday, March 8, 2018 - 1:48am
Thursday, March 8, 2018 - 1:53am
1800 Block Cameron Drive
Madison, WI

A Madison man is uninjured this morning thanks to a smoke alarm alerting him to a fire in his kitchen while he slept.

The man told firefighters he was heating oil to make fries when he fell asleep with the burner still on. Upon waking up, he saw flames on the stove and immediately called 911.

Ladder Company 7, Engine Company 7, and Medic 7 all responded from their west-side station and arrived within five minutes of the initial dispatch. When firefighters entered the unit, the fire was already out, and the man had removed the pan from the stove. A thermal imaging camera confirmed there was no fire extension in the nearby walls and ceiling. Both doors to the apartment were open and no visible smoke remained inside.

The fire caused some soot buildup in the kitchen but no fire damage. The occupant was not displaced.

Posted 03/08/2018 - 10:04am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)